announcing the Winners
The Showcase Day event was a huge success. The winners of the competition are listed below. You can view the photo gallery here and read more about the day's events within our digital stories section.
Gold Prize Winner: True Made Foods from New York
People's Choice Winner: Regrub from Arlington, TX
Stay tuned on how we will continue to bring this community together to raise awareness of the opportunities for improvement in our food systems and uncover insights that will shape how we make our world sustainable.
Experience stories of food innovation from around the globe.
The Second Annual Food+City Challenge Prize is an international competition among business start-ups encouraging innovation in the urban food system. Finalists will compete for $50,000 and an incredible package of business startup products and services.
Check out some of the ways for you to get involved in this exciting event! Free admission, register here:
- Engage with a diverse range of international food entrepreneurs as you explore their booths
- Vote online and on-site for People’s Choice
- Meet Evan Baehr during a Get Backed book signing and then watch the finalists bring his approach to life
- Snap a foodie photo at our photo booth
- Ask questions of last year's finalists Ten Acre Organics, Aspire and Tastebud during their "Food Startup: Lessons Learned" panel hosted by Allison Waddell, Food & Culinary Director for Barnraiser.
- Indulge in sips and bites from Austin favorites like 512 Brewery, Mmmpanadas, Hat Creek Burgers, Easy Tiger, Austin Java, Honest Tea, Wholy Bagel, Tamale House East, Snap Kitchen and more.
ABOUT THE CHALLENGE PRIZE
The Food+City Challenge Prize is an early stage business startup competition encouraging innovation within the urban food system. Our Food Challenge Prize launched in 2015 and is now The Food+City Challenge Prize. We encourage innovators, from across the globe, to create businesses and discover technologies that will improve how we feed cities around the world. The University of Texas at Austin is our flagship platform for our competition in 2016. Finalists have been working with their mentors for 12 weeks to prepare for Showcase Day presentations on February 6th.
How it Works
We choose finalists from the entries submitted between September 1st and October 15th 2015. Our esteemed advisers pair the finalists with qualified mentors until Showcase Day, February 6th, 2016. On Showcase Day, the finalists will pitch and demonstrate their startup businesses before a panel of judges and attendees. Building on last year’s success, the Food+City sponsors are increasing the awards to a total of $50,000 from $30,000 last year! This amount will be split according to the number of categories that we discover after submissions are reviewed.
Download the Food Startup Handbook
Interested in a copy of the Food Startup Handbook? Sign up below and we'll send you a downloadable copy.